Call for papers
11th International Global Wordnet Conference,
Pretoria, South Africa/Venue to be announced
18-21 January 2021
Global Wordnet Association: www.globalwordnet.org
Conference website: https://www.globalwordnet.co.za/
The Global Wordnet Association is pleased to announce that the 11th International Global Wordnet Conference (GWC2021) will be held from 18 to 21 January 2021 in Pretoria, South Africa. The conference will be hosted by the South African Centre for Digital Language Resources (SADiLaR). Due to the uncertainty of what will be the circumstances during the conference as a result of COVID-19, the venue and format of conference presentation will be announced in due course.
Please note that given the current global pandemic and the uncertainty surrounding international travel in January 2021, the organisers are also preparing a virtual conference as contingency. A final announcement as to the format of GWC2021 will be made in October 2020. Should the conference be hosted as a virtual event, a combination of the approaches successfully implemented by RAIL2020 and LREC2020 will be used as roadmap – authors will be asked to prerecord their presentations which will be streamed during a live virtual event with opportunity for questions and discussions after each presentation; proceedings will also be published and a reduced registration fee will be applicable.
Contributions are invited on all aspects of wordnets, including but not limited to:
- Lexical semantics and meaning representation
- Critical analysis and applications of lexical and semantic relations
- Proposed new relations
- Definitions, semantic components, co-occurrence and frequency statistics
- Word and Sense Embeddings
- Necessity and completeness issues
- Ontology and wordnet
- Other lexicographical and lexicological questions pertaining to wordnet-style meaning representation
- Wordnets and Linked Open Data (LOD)
- Architecture of lexical databases
- Language independent and language dependent components
- Integration of multi-wordnets in research infrastructures (like CLARIN) and LT networks (like META-NET)
- Tools and Methods for wordnet development
- User and Data entry interfaces
- Methods for constructing, extending and enriching wordnets
- Applications of wordnet
- Word sense disambiguation
- Machine translation
- Information extraction and retrieval
- Document structuring and categorisation
- Automatic hyperlinking
- Language pedagogy
- Psycholinguistic applications
- Standardization, distribution and availability of wordnets and wordnet tools.
Submissions will fall into one of the following categories (page limits exclude references):
- long papers: 8 pages max, 30 minutes presentation
- short papers: 5 pages max; 15 minutes presentation
- project reports: 5 pages max., 10 minutes presentation
- demonstrations: 5 pages max, with an additional 3 pages screen dumps or images; 20 minutes presentation
- work in progress: 5 pages max., poster presentation
Submissions should be anonymous and any identifying information must be removed. Authors must state the preferred category, though acceptance may be subject to change in the category of the presentation, e.g. a long paper submission may be accepted as a short paper.
Final papers should be submitted in electronic form (PDF only).
Papers must be submitted to the EasyChair website: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=gwc2021
The format of the paper is in ACL format (PDF) and a template can be found at http://acl2010.org/authors_final.html
- 18 September 2020: Deadline for paper submission
- 23 October 2020: Notification of acceptance
- 23 October 2020: Registration opens
- 20 November 2020: Deadline for author registration, final paper due
- 18-21 January 2021: Conference
Conference proceedings will be open access and downloadable from the GWA website. The proceedings will have an ISBN and be published in the ACL anthology.
Papers are only included in the proceedings if at least one author has registered by 20 November 2020.
Inclusion of accepted submissions into the final program and the proceedings is contingent upon at least one author’s registration. Late registration and on-site registration for participants is possible without inclusion of the paper and without presentation.
A student workshop will be held at the conference venue on 22 January 2021. More details to follow during October 2020.
Student Bursaries and Travel Grants
Applications for student bursaries and travel grants will open in October 2020 and more details will be made available on the conference website.
Christiane Fellbaum, email@example.com
Piek Vossen, firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Organising Committee
Sonja Bosch – University of South Africa (UNISA)
Mampaka Lydia Mojapelo – University of South Africa (UNISA)
Marissa Griesel – University of South Africa (UNISA) (contact person: email@example.com)
Elsabé Taljard – University of Pretoria (UP)
Juan Steyn – SADiLaR
Liané van den Berg – SADiLaR